Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Communication as Entertainment, and Differences in Opinion

One of the central concepts behind most of the technologies powering the "constant connectivity" boom seems to be communication as entertainment. People have always interacted with others as a means of enjoying themselves, but all people inevitably find themselves alone for some periods of time, and historically, they found other ways to occupy themselves. They probably used to read books or hunt woolly mammoths or something.

Now, however, as soon as people get home from a night out with friends, they can log onto Facebook and talk to the same friends some more, except in a form that is more akin to small talk than deep conversation (which they presumably got out of the way while they were speaking in person). Small talk is not necessarily bad, but we might be better off reading books for fun instead.

A related example is text messaging. Many people around campus seem to be able to pass their free moments (and occupied ones besides) in text conversations, even in situations when looking at the scenery might have easily passed the lonesome thirty seconds before the next exciting thing happened.

I notice things like this mostly because I am not the type of person who turns to long-distance communication solely for entertainment. As a slight introvert, I feel much more comfortable talking to people if I have something to say to them. I find it difficult to imagine the effort it would take to have something worthwhile to say whenever I get bored.

This is why I was interested to read the bit in the assigned reading entitled "Antisocial Networking?" about how computer-mediated communication can help shy people make friends. I have a Facebook account, but I don't feel any more inclined to communicate with people through the site than in real life because it doesn't change the fact that I don't have anything to say.

I looked into some papers on introverted people and Facebook, and found that the literature consistently disagrees with me. For instance, a survey conducted by Baker and Oswald revealed that "among relatively shy individuals, Facebook use was positively associated with satisfaction, importance, and closeness with Facebook friends, but not with non-Facebook friends" (883). A very similar study by Orr et al. concluded likewise that "shyness was significantly positively correlated with attitudes toward Facebook" (339).

Oh.

More than proving me wrong, though, I think this indicates how complex and open-ended this field of study is. The fact that much of it deals with human behavior and psychology means that many variations in motive will be unaccounted for in systematic studies. Maybe there was a troublemaker like me in Baker and Oswald's study who was skewing the data, and who consequently had to be discarded as an outlier.

It seems like any quantitative data must ignore many unique and valuable perspectives, whether they follow the statistical correlation or not. While this type of research is undeniably valuable, I think that for this topic, free-response surveys will also be good resources. Individuals' opinions, regardless of whether they are broad enough to be representative of a statistically significant percentage of the population, will also provide insights into how people (who are individuals, after all) use and react to constant connectivity.

5 comments:

Kelsey said...

It's so strange to me how a social networking site has completely taken over our lives. While I do think that social networking sites provide a way for shy individuals to reach out to their "Facebook friends", I do not necessarily agree or believe the studies that social networking is beneficial for these individuals. Communicating with people online seems a bit fake to me, to be honest, and I can't see how it helps shy individuals grow as people. I feel like it further inhibits their communication skills.

Eleanor said...

Facebook is a useful if not overused and abused tool for reconnecting and connecting with others.

Although Facebook and other networking sites afford the ability to explore oneself or reach out to others, ultimately, the person trumps the technology. Studies like this, though encouraging to some, only further reinforce the notion that is permissible to rely further and further on social technology, rather than refining our own social skills. Facebook may make wild and outrageous claims guaranteeing happiness and close friendships, but at the end of the day, it can only form echoes of our relationships.

As constantly connected people, we need to constantly remind ourselves that we are more than "Facebook friends." We should not rely so heavily on social technologies and spend time contemplating and investing in our friendships--face to face.

Roseanne Dale said...

It is interesting that you disagree on a personal level with the findings of those studies. Of course, the researchers only found a correlation. The study cannot account for individuals, only a collective group. Hopefully studies will become more numerous and sophisticated as time passes.

Jerry said...

Being an introvert myself, I could really relate to your article. Naturally, I would prefer to go to the dentist rather than have to interact in a room full of strange people. It's not that I'm afraid, I just have my mind made up to be uncomfortable. It's all about mindset. I believe this type of hang-up requires a lot of practice in creating positive networking experiences. Social media can be a great outlet for introverts. If used properly it could be a great confidence builder. I did find some other free informational tools that could be of help at: http://relationshipcapital.co/op/?utm_src=bl

Jerry said...

Great guidelines and encouraging words for the introvert. Being an introvert myself, I can see where different methods need to be employed in order to achieve the same results as the extrovert. But, it is possible to succeed, in spite of the common stereotype given to the introvert. We definitely have our strong points. We just need to know how to recognize them and learn how to use them. Social skills will become more natural if you are persistent at practicing them. Social media could be used as a great outlet to build confidence. I also found some other helpful tips at: http://relationshipcapital.co/op/?utm_src=bl