Thursday, February 24, 2011

An Ever-Changing Technology

We are all aware of Apple's ever-changing technology and products. From their excessive new releases of the iPhone to the invention of the iPad, Apple is always in the news. Consumers have long awaited the release of the new MacBook Pro, whose availability was just announced this morning. While this constant improvement in technology is exciting, is it really necessary? To have multiple versions of a phone released in one year, and for the newest versions of a laptop or iPad to be announced within days of each other? To me it seems only obvious that eventually, if not already, Apple will be in complete control of the technological market.

Apple's technology is seen everywhere due to its efficiency and convenient features. With the iPhone spreading to Verizon, even more consumers are gaining access to Apple's products. Earlier today, Apple announced its release of the latest MacBook Pro which is already available to customers. The new technology provided by Intel, called Thunderbolt, supplies faster capability for the device to support "high resolution displays" through one port. It provides ethernet and advanced HDMI capabilities as well. Already, Apple's stock has gone up, presumably because of this breakthrough technology.

Additionally, it is expected that Apple will announce the release of the iPad 2 on March 2nd, just days away. Apple users are anticipating the software updates available on the new iPad to be similar to those on the new MacBook Pro. Other features include an SD port as well as a camera on the rear side of the screen, that would allow for "Face-Time video chat". Interestingly enough, Motorola is also expected to release their competing product next week, the Xoom tablet. Despite competitors in the market of technology, Apple seems to have the strong upper hand.

Constant Apple updates flooding the news is overwhelming. There are so many new software capabilities and applications that customers barely understand the majority of them. However, I do think that Apple has been very successful in marketing the efficiency of their products. Finding out about the latest and greatest Apple technology is exciting, and makes me personally anticipate what will come next. The usage and accessibility to Apple products will only continue to expand.

4 comments:

Eleanor said...

I think you raise a good point. Every time a new piece of technology is released, we all feel the thrill of excitement and that clamor to "get our own." However, our own piece of technology, though slightly older, works fine.

However, technological innovations are very much needed in society. I suppose we ought to just check ourselves before running to the store to buy a new device.

Grace Berg said...

After my PC became infected with several viruses last quarter, my parents decided to get me a MacBook for Christmas to help me out with schoolwork. Although the technology is amazing, most of it is so far above me that I have found that I am only using the fairly basic features such as the internet and iPages- the Mac version of Microsoft Word. I definitely do not understand what the big commotion over Apple products is. Unless I was a film editor or a professional photographer, I do not see myself using most of the features that come along with a Mac. Therefore, I feel like I could have easily purchased a new PC with better Antivirus software for a much cheaper price and still be getting all of the features that I need as a college student.

Josh Barram said...

Kelsey, not to be contrary, but I highly doubt that Apple will ever 'control the technological market'. I bring this up not to be obnoxious, but to point out that this type of claim was commonly made about Microsoft way back when (15-20 years ago). I think that it's in the nature of the technological market to create giants and then watch them fall.

If one considers cars to be technologies, then Ford is a prime example of a company that enjoyed a relative monopoly, then needed to be "bailed out".

Also, I don't think that most people have Macs. I think that there are still definitely Mac and PC people. And while no one is likely to seriously compete with Apple's iPad and iPod, there are major competitors to the iPhone.

Ethan Wu said...

To comment on the question razed regarding whether it is necessary for constant improvements, I feel like the answer to that question is an obvious yes. It is like asking should I study harder in school so I can get better grades. The reason why technology today makes our lives easier compared to technology a decade ago is because of the improvements. If we just look at internet; before dial up was a dismal 56kbits/sec. Now we browse at speeds of 5000kbits/sec. Innovation and improvements are necessary otherwise we would still be in the stone age walking from Davis to San Jose rather than driving or taking amtrak.

Coming up with new versions is also a way of fixing issues/bugs from the previous versions. I imagine that many consumers believe Apple is obligated to fix the "small" issue with the antenna which basically caused the much hyped iphone4 to not be an endorsed product. I can confidently say that the next version of the iphone will not have an antenna problem as well as sport new features because they will be making improvements.