Monday, February 28, 2011

Nu Txt

The entire purpose of this blog - Constantly Connected - is to analyze what it means to be constantly connected. However, there is very little focus on the “language” of constant connection, if you will. Emoticons and shorthand text are becoming more and more prominent, especially among the younger generations. I cannot go onto Facebook and look at any of my younger friends’ posts without observing “u” instead of “you,” “r” for “are” or “our,” “2” for “two,” “to,” or “too,” and so many others. Often, it makes me cringe. “These people are butchering the English language that I know and love,” I think to myself, and I am certain that many share that view.

However, as a student-designer who works with text as well as imagery, I can understand the value of this shorthand as simply the next stage in the evolution of language. Emoticons, such as the smiley face depicted by a colon and a close-parenthesis or :), are the perfect example of this step. Just like the ancient Egyptians or Chinese cultures, which used pictographic images to symbolize “things,” emoticons are being used to symbolize emotions (see image). A well placed emoticon can perfectly supplement the meaning of a text or instant message.

Fun Fact: according to National Public Radio’s “Wait, wait… Don’t tell me,” President Abraham Lincoln is supposedly the first to have harnessed the power of emoticons, by making a ;) – or a “winky-face” – in his speech to signify a pause for laughs.

Once one gets past the traditions and stodginess of English as we know it, one can see the advantages of txt shorthand: it’s fast, readable, and efficient. Plus, it doesn’t rely too heavily on proper punctuation, grammar, or spelling, meaning that everyone can easily participate. And, really, what good is the internet if it’s not democratic?

1 comment:

ReesyButt said...

I love how this is written. It flows nicely and gets the point across. The point in itself is very interesting. I too worry that the English language is being violently butchered by the short hand that is rampant in the technological world. However, you bring up a wonderful point: there IS value in a short-hand notation that is able to be read quickly and understood by most people (however, I have to say that I cannot keep up with the exponential increase of strange, new acronyms). I also personally love Emoticons, and I have a hard time not inserting them out of habit into my formal writing or into e-mails with professors or other superiors. I like the link you made between these and ancient symbols of the Egyptians or Chinese, I feel that that is a great way of looking at it.

P.S. I love the picture. Well done.