Sunday, February 27, 2011

An App to Help You Unplug

Usually, technology-related apps exist to hook users into spending as much time as possible absorbed in the digital world. Now, from an organization called Reboot, there is an app that does just the opposite. Called the Sabbath Manifesto, this app posts on Facebook and Twitter that the user is partaking in a technology-free day. Lest the user forget, Sabbath Manifesto sends multiple text messages throughout the day prior to the day of unplugging.

As one might guess based on the app’s name, the organization that created Sabbath Manifesto (Reboot) is a Jewish organization. Some followers of the Jewish faith routinely unplug themselves for a full 25 hours. A Reboot spokesperson said that “while the group isn’t anti-technology, it hopes people will consider logging off more often.”

One may note the irony inherent in using a smartphone app to facilitate a day of technological abstinence. However, for many, responding to a cell phone’s beep is as automatic as to a friend’s greeting. By using this platform to advocate unplugging, Reboot is approaching people within their comfort zone, which may make them more likely to follow through. In addition, by informing the user’s Facebook friends and Twitter followers, Sabbath Manifesto makes the user more accountable for his or her adherence.

It is more difficult to measure how many people are not using a particular service than to measure how many are. However, Reboot claims that last year millions partook in the National Day of Unplugging. This year, it is scheduled for March 4-5. Will you participate?

2 comments:

ReesyButt said...

This made me smile. I particularly liked the phrase, "technological abstinence."

People, including myself, have a very difficult time unplugging. We can't seem to get away from the constant technological buzz. I believe most of this is because we have very little choice; most of our world has been shifted to encompass the capabilities afforded to us by the Internet and cell phones. However, on the days when I do unplug everything (whether it is by choice or I am forced to because I am physically incapable of connecting to technology, usually due to my family dragging me camping, multiple times, every summer) I feel significantly calmer and more at peace with myself. The angst and heightened sense of technological obligations is diminished when I am separated from the technology. It is also a frightening test of how dependent we are on our constant connection.

Josh Barram said...

I read 'Will you participate?' and wanted to say 'Yeah!' The only thing is.... I have online homework due that day, Friday evening is a prime time to talk to my family on my cell phone, if I have extra time, I should really sort through my emails.... yeah. So, I guess we'll see about whether or not I unplug.

It's aptly named, the Sabbath Manifesto. It certainly reminds me of old-school Sundays. No work! And cooking is work! Shoot.... What do we do now? Some of my friends (and potentially myself) are about to start 20 days of fasting. Last night we discussed why. Some of the reasons brought up were: because it's hard, because a religious leader says it's a good idea, because it's a lesson on what one TRULY needs. One needs food, one needs contact, but maybe not so easily, maybe not so unintentional.

I'm a stout believer in the importance of intention. Why someone does something is almost as (if not more) important than what they do. Intention also lends meaning to our lives and actions.

So, I can't say now whether I'll unplug this Friday. But I will be more intentional about my connectivity use.