Monday, February 28, 2011

Treating Your Technology Addiction


As more and more people are realizing how addicted they are to technology, some are making an effort to completely turning off their use of technology in their life. Many people have a difficult time finding the right balance in using technology. For instance, James Cornell, 18, felt anxiety after being anyway from his cell phone for only one day. John Stark, 46, stopped sending and receiving text messages to his friends in hopes that his friends would call him if they needed him, but instead his friends text messaged John’s wife, asking her to relay information to him.

Although these people simply desired a fast fix to their addiction to technology to feel in control of their use of technology, experts think that those who want to treat their technology addiction should view the addiction like a diet instead of a withdrawal from drugs. Experts believe that people need to learn how to distinguish between necessary and compulsive consumption.

The first step in any addiction, however, is realizing you have a problem. I like to deny how many hours I spend on my phone and computer everyday because I feel embarrassed. Facebook, especially, eats up all my free time. I know that shutting down my Facebook account will not fix the problem because I will just become obsessed with something else. I need to treat my problem now using baby steps. I must master self control and I hope those of you with the same addiction to technology feel inspired now to do the same.

2 comments:

Ethan Wu said...

Interesting blog post. I definitely agree that our fixation with technology can be characterized as addiction. I can relate to you in that I often am in denial when it comes to the number of hours I put into playing video games. The fact that my academic performance has not suffered significantly doesn't help with me realizing that I have a technology addiction because I justify it by saying that it hasn't really hurt my performance acedemically.

I think part of getting over technology addiction is making sure you fulfill you priorities first before you indulge yourself in the pleasures of Facebook or video games. As easy it sounds, it is not easy as this is something that I am struggling with everyday.

Christine Wilson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.