Thursday, February 17, 2011

Google This, Google That


This is a fascinating article. It describes how Google recently linked to J. C. Penny for a wide variety of things. It was determined that J. C. Penny was causing this to happen by creating websites that linked back to J. C. Penny. That crossed the line as far as Google was concerned, so it made J. C. Penny less relevant in searches. This potentially cost J.C. Penny millions in lost sales. This is a good example of the power that Google wields and that's what I'd like to discuss in my blog.

First though, some Google background. I learned a bit about the revolutionary Google Algorithm in my linear algebra class. People had already thought to base websites’ relevance on number of links to and from other websites. What Google founders did was figure out how to weight which links in what way. This is all done with a system of linear equations (you know, actual numbers with just a few variables). From these equations, Google figures out what you are looking for when you type in “something interesting."

So then, what does Google do with their algorithms? Of course, the better question is: What doesn’t Google do? I don’t know. You can read books on Google, you can chat with friends on Google, you can even do 3D CAD modeling on Google (if you don't know what that is, Google it). Google.org is a massive charity and all-around-do-gooding enterprise backed by Google. Google might even be getting into law enforcement. The article presents Google as judge and jury, “…Mr. Cutts and his colleagues are acutely aware of the singular power they wield as judge, jury and appeals panel.” And also as a type of medium within the larger internet. Google is in some ways the ultimate port-of-trade, imposing tariffs, policing its merchants, and dictating traffic. In a way, it is even the very water in which one is shipping.

This, and Google’s tussles with the Chinese government, gives me an idea. What if Google became a sort of cyber United Nations? It would have much more power and unilateral decision making ability than the actual U.N. because it would be one body, not a coalition. And since most of the internet now flows through Google’s hands, it literally controls the (virtual) lay of the land.

I wonder if this is good. Right now I trust Google, for whatever reasons. But what if it loses that trust? What will we do?

1 comment:

annakroach said...

This article poses some really interesting questions. I always thought of Google as such a harmless source of information. I need something quick or even researching something important, I start with Google. This is really sad to say, but I actually have no idea what I did without Google. However, I did not realize what a power corporation Google was becoming. It makes sense though. I go to Google for my homework, and then five minutes later I go for shopping. Its a one stop shop and why would it stop there? I think Google should get involved more internationally, however I feel that Google's trustworthiness will be lost if it becomes politically involved.